Saturday, March 29, 2008

If at first you don't succeed....

If at first you don't succeed....
.... try, try again!
This week in the newspaper I read about a Springfield Police sponsored free Learn to Skate Class. We decided that it would be a lot of fun to take Tyler for a few reasons. The obvious is because he loves to skate and it sounded like a great opprotunity, but also because it was free! The one thing that I am dreading about his love of hockey all boils down to one thing. Cost. It is an expensive to outfit, to play, to travel, and not to mention the thought of any medical bills that might accompany it!

Tyler had a great time tonight. He only made it around the rink once, but that was enough for his little legs (it took about half and hour!). He held his own out there on the ice with the older kids and was not intimidated by them. When he skated for the first time a few months ago, he always wanted to leave the ice whenever someone else came near him. He and Frank worked on getting back up on his skates tonight after falling. He did really well and was one of the youngest out there. I can not wait until it all starts to click together in his head and he is zipping around the rink. On the other hand this is the speed I can hadle for now!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah! Good job, Tyler! He skates much better than I, and I've got many...many, many years on him!

IUgirl78 said...

Way to go, Tyler! I am really surprised he wasn't intimidated by the older kids--I still am! (Actually, now I'm intimidated by the younger kids because they are much faster/better than me!)

I hear you about the ungodly cost of playing hockey. One of my students is in travel hockey and goes all over every weekend. When his mom told me about all of the expenses, I made a mental note to steer my kids towards a low-cost sport, like playing darts.

Pigtail Mama said...

Yes, I've heard hockey is quite costly! My cousin is a senior in HS playing hockey and is getting a scholarship to play in college (not sure which one). SO, at least it could help with that! On the other hand, he did get injured during a game. Oh, not while PLAYING, but he slammed his fist into the wall because he was mad, and ended up breaking his wrist. His mom was SOOOO mad, as you can imagine!

That is great that they offered it for free (helps to make up for the dinosaur thing, right?). I bet Frank is excited that his son is getting into hockey! How fun!