Sunday, June 8, 2008

My Epiphany

I never had a problem with turning 30 years old. I never had a problem when I turned 31, either. However, I am finding that being 32 has been not such a smooth ride. Last fall, after suffering from headaches all day long, I had an eye exam. The diagnosis? I needed glasses. I thought to myself, "Self, you can deal with this." Some mornings I spend five minutes with the tweezers pulling out grey hair. It wasn't until this past week that I really felt out of sorts, though....

Frank and I have been trying to empty out the fourth bedroom, a.k.a. the Junk Room. We had a spare dresser that I had mentioned to someone at work and she asked if she could donate it to one of her clients. I told her "No problem!" Frank and I moved it downstairs into my car and I drove it to work and passed it on to my co-worker on Monday. By Wednesday, I was a little slow to get out of bed and by Thursday, I could hardly move at all.... My back simply was killing me! What happened to "no good deed goes unturned"?

After multiple phone calls to my doctors office, a lot of Ibuprofen, and advice from lots of different people, I left work early, and had Frank drive me to the Emergency Room. I felt like a fool. I simply could not move, I was not comfortable sitting, standing, or sleeping! When my name was called in the waiting room, I was brought back into my assigned bed, and I was handed the johnny to put on.

That's when it hit me. I am getting older. (Notice I said older, NOT old.) As if this realization wasn't enough, the doctor who treated me reassured me with "85% of people have back problems at some point in their lives." Thanks, doc. I guess he didn't realize I was having an epiphany at that moment and that I am NOT 85% of people!

At least this whole episode was short lived. I was given some meds to take and by Saturday my back was feeling well enough to clean the house and move around. Hopefully I have learned my lesson and will hire someone next time!

4 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Oh, no! I hurt my back, too, but it is no surprise because I have a herniated disk. Yuck. Back pain is SO not fun. Isn't it weird what sets it off? It sometimes doesn't take much! I hope that you are getting over it. Yes, I've heard that 80-some percent of people have back pain. Why can't we be in the 20 percent???? :)

Heather said...

I think that 15/20% are people who don't have kids (i.e. don't lug them around and bend and twist at weird angles to get them into car seats, etc.). Sounds like maybe you need a "girls' weekend" on the beach to heal. ; )

Lisa said...

Hope you're feeling better! Back pain really slows you down if not completely for awhile. I know what you mean- I feel so beat up these days and we're only in our 30's- yikes?!

IUgirl78 said...

YIKES!!! Is this what I have to look forward to, girls? I pulled something in my back about a year ago and you don't realize until then how much it hurts to do ANYTHING!!! I hope you're taking it easy!