Monday, June 2, 2008

5,4,3,2,1...

DERBY!

Last summer, we were able to visit a lot of little fairs around Western Massachusetts. One that we went to, was the Four Town Fair, in Northampton, Massachusetts. I was drawn to this one because they advertised a Demolition Derby. We were free that weekend, so we took the afternoon and went to the fair. Well...... We got there mid-afternoon and we had walked the entire length of the fair, ate, went on some rides, and took in a lot of scenery-- all in 90 mintues. What do you do next? We people watched! Luckily, Tyler was amused easily, had a bit of room to run around, and was happy...

As it got closer to enter into the arena for the Derby, we bought our tickets and found seats. It was a home away from home! I thought that people like that only existed in the Midwest. I was wrong. I guess small town people are everywhere! It was great! As the cars started lining up for the auctual event, they made announcements "Please sit as close as possible to your neighbors, the event is sold out!" (Huh?) and "Last night we had to stop the event due fights in the stands. This will not be tolerated!" All I could think was "What have I gotten myself into?"

We had a blast! Tyler had so much fun watching the cars crash, the firetruck putting on engire fires, and the tow trucks hauling away the broken down remains of cars! For weeks afterwards, he would play "Derby" with his Cars, complete with "countdown". Last week, I was making dinner for all of us and this was what I saw in the family room:

Derby Time!
Tyler uses his drawing board as the arena and even does the countdown (starting from 5!) and then goes at it! I am proud to say that my son learned to count backwards from an afternoon at the Derby! Can't wait until this summer's!

2 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Sounds like fun! Those are great pictures of him. You just can't beat that cute little grin!

We, too, felt at home in parts of Rhode Island. There were some people there that made it feel just like Indiana, only with an east coast accent. :)

When is the derby? Tyler has a great memory!

Heather said...

No way!! I thought only crazy Indiana country-people (like myself) had that stuff!!
You guys will be in Indiana just in time for some Indiana county fairs...complete with demolition derbys! That's a great idea - I should take Jack, he would totally dig it like Tyler does.
I'm glad no fights broke out when you guys were there.