Saturday, July 18, 2009

After a long ride.... Jiffy Treet!

We started off on our annual Indiana summer vacation on Wednesday evening. Tyler and Frank picked me up from work and within minutes we were on our way to the Mass Turnpike headed West! On the way to get me, however, there was a mandatory stop at Dunkin Donuts - coffee for Frank and chocolate glazed doughtnut for Ty. The only thing left by the time they got me were the remnants around Ty's mouth... oh well, maybe next time there will be left -overs!
After driving for a few hours, we stopped in Hamburg, New York, right outside Buffalo. Tyler was ecstatic to be spending the night in a hotel. But even more so, he knew that the next bed he would sleep in would be the one at Grammy and Grampy's house!!!
We pulled into the driveway at Grammy and Grampy's house just before dinner time. As soon as we arrived, Grampy said to Ty "You want to hit the pool?". Within minutes, they were both in their suits and headed out! I joined them to sit and watch while Frank stayed behind with Grammy and to unpack the car. After a quick swim we arrived home to barbecue steaks and potatoes and to relax on the porch. It was nice to sit and see scenery not whiz by!
Our first day was spent catching up on rest, napping, and spending a lot more time at the pool. For the first time in many years, the July weather in Indiana was simply gorgeous! Low humidity, sunny skies, and perfect temps! Before Ty hit the pool, he and Grampy woke early to go into town and make a stop at Dunkin Donuts before stopping by Wonderlab for a bit of playtime. While they were gone I was able to pick seats at the pool and have some quiet time to myself before I was on pool duty. It was a perfect first day to our summer vacation and a much needed day of catch up in the rest department!
Saturday was a lot cooler and (dare I say this?) too cool to hit the pool. We all decided to have lunch at Jiffy Treet! Pork tenderloin sandwiches, fried mushrooms for the adults and a foot-long hot dog and fries for the little guy. Besides ice cream, they have the best tenderloin sandwiches in town!
While we waited for out food to make it to the table, I snapped a few shots.... Tyler was so excited to see Grammy and Granpy!

He even took some time to experiment with Grammy's cane.... I am not sure if that is a skill that I want him adept at. After all, when I used my Grandma's crutches as a kid, a few short months later I found myself needing my own after I broke my foot!
A well eaten meal deserves one thing-- dessert! And at Jiffy Treet that dessert equals Cookie Monster ice-cream! A few scoops of this delicious treat is well worth the long drive!

0 comments: