Friday, July 25, 2008

Mishicot, Wisconsin

Population: 1,422

Golf Courses: 3

Ice Cream Shops: 2

Country Stores: 1

Relaxing for a week: Priceless

Every summer, we travel to the Midwest for our vacation. Some people go to the beach, others go camping, we go to Indiana! A few summers ago, we traveled to Camp Brosius in Wisconsin, the IU Alumni Camp. We decided that we would go there for a week then travel to Indiana for another week. Plans do not always go accordingly.... Brosious was full and I could not spare two weeks of vacation time. So we went back to the drawing board. We decided that we would stay at Fox Hills, a golf resort in Mishicot, Wisconsin.

Mishicot is a small town right outside of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, where my parents grew up. As a child, my Grandma owned a small cottage at the end of Main Street and that is where we would stay during the summers when I was child. We even came one Thanksgiving and went sledding down the hill in the front yard in antique bedpans.... During summers we would fish for crayfish in the stream next to the house. In the evenings we would walk down the block to the best ice cream parlour in the state (bubblegum ice cream!). My Grandma eventually sold the cottage and when we drove by it this week we did not even recognize the place!

In no particular order, some of our highlights for the week:

Enjoying a Lienie's on our balcony. We had perfect weather all week long and thoroughly enjoyed our patio.
Tyler peeping out of the play house at the Fox Hills pool.

The view from our room-- hole number 9 on the Fox Hills red course.
On the swing with my son at Neshotah Park in Two Rivers. I used to go to this park with my aunts and cousins to play. My Grandma Perry took us here once to a carnival (I think I was about 9 years old). The park is almost exactly the same as I remember!Playing on the teeter-totter Neshotah Park. The family that teeters together, stays together... Lesson #431, don't wear skirt on the teeter-totter. Spending time with Grandpa Perry in the Fox Hills pool.
Playing Foosball at, the bar at Fox Hills. Frank and I were able to come back when Tyler was asleep (thanks Grandma and Grandpa!). As a kid, I used to play Foosball at every restaurant we would go to in Wisconsin. I guess it is a right of passage that you bring your child into a bar and play games while you drink and eat!
Mastering Air Hockey at Benchwarmers (he's going to give his mom a run for her money when he gets older!). We traveled to Port Sandy Bay on Monday night. Read the sign. I had to take this as we were on our way out. This was a great pizza place that we would eat at a long time ago. The adults would eat and drink and the kids would eat and play Foosball!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Frank on the deck outside our room. We relaxed with a few Lienie's!
Yummmmmm! Ice cream from ice cream store in Mishicot. As full as I was from dinner that night, I made sure I had some room!
A four generation picture. The last one we took was when Tyler was 1 1/2 years old.
We were able to stop in Appleton one night to see more family. Around the the table: cousin Brian, Brian's wife Amy, Grandma Perry, Aunt Jean, Uncle Ronnie, Brian and Amy's daughter, Alexis, cousin Barbara's son, Joey, son, Mikey, daughter, Monica, cousin Barbara, Grandpa Perry, myself, and Tyler. We had a great time with everyone-- some people we had not seen since our wedding in 2001! Amy was a great host while the guys went fishing and made us yummy margarita's (which I made sure to get the recipe for!).







1 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Mmm...Summer Shandy! Looks tasty.

Wow, what a busy but fun week you had! I bet Tyler (and you and Frank!) slept well each night after all of that fun. I'm sure that it was great to relax and see family. Glad you had a great time!