Monday, July 7, 2008

Did I hear that right?

When we got off the train on Long Island on Friday night, we were pleased that it was still early- we were looking forward to hanging out for a bit, watching fireworks, and then putting the kids to bed. But the one thing I have learned since becoming a mother is don't plan on anything, it will never turn out like you envision it! Frank's dad picked us up from the station and here is the conversation I remember on Friday night during our drive back home:

Frank: How was Tyler today?
Papa: He did great. The kids had a lot of fun playing all day. He did have a little accident, though.
Frank: Huh?
Papa: He is OK now, I went out earlier and got some butterflies to put on his chin.
Frank: Huh?
Papa: You can take a look at it when you get home.
Frank: Huh?

I think you get the drift. Now mind you, I am in the backseat and I am so bewildered that I can't really think. All I can think of is April, when he hit his chin and got 5 stitches! We eventually arrived to find my son, sitting on the porch, eating his dinner and having a blast! We asked him (and everyone else) what happened and all he would tell us was that he was skateboarding into the pool (huh?) and he hit the ladder on his way in. Boys will definitely be boys! Thank goodness my brother-in-law is also trained in first aid, he did a great job applying the sutures! And thanks to all of them for not telling us until we were home, otherwise we would have worried all the way home and missed the game!

After dinner, we took a look at the cut on his chin, called our pediatrician, and got the answer I DIDN'T want to hear "take him in." Yuck.

So we all finished dinner,
the kids ate their Popsicles,
(you think the blue drips will speed the healing process?)
And headed to the nearest E.R.. We asked to be "fast-tracked". After all, Ty is 3 years old, it's the 4th of July, and now it's dark! It's fireworks time! The hospital took us in fairly quickly, and the doctor looked at him and gave us the choice of stitches or glue. I am proud to say my son's chin is now glued together! Apparently, the glue is water proofed and knowing he would want to go swimming on Saturday, this was the way to go. The triage nurse gave Tyler a teddy bear and he named him Teddy Chins (I thought this was quite humorous, I am married to an Italian!). Luckily, we made it home just in time to see a few fireworks (granted most of them were from the car window on the way home!) and........ for the kids to get a good night sleep! (They all insisted on sleeping on the air mattress together! It was really very cute to see!)

5 comments:

Daddy said...

Where do I begin. You don't want to baby your child but on the other hand when you see his face opened up (yet again) you wish you could do more. Here we went from the ultimate parents day: tailgating, baseball, beer, Yanks, good friends, to the ER. In that ER you want to talk about a tough kid. Didn't shed a tear. In fact Ty didn't cry when it happened. I wish I knew where he got that toughness from...unbelievable.

Prior to the ER what a great day.

IUgirl78 said...

Oh my word! I cannot believe he cut his chin AGAIN!!! I'm glad you were able to do the waterproof glue as it would not be a fun couple of weeks if he had to keep that area dry. What a brave boy!

Heather said...

What are you talking about, Frank?! His daddy's a hockey player and his mommy's tough and stubborn - just don't get her on a really high balcony (love ya, P!). I think he comes by it honest.
Glad he's okay, sorry it happened again, though. I really like the pic w/ the popsicle drip off the end of his nose.
And, P.S., what a great pediatrician - taking a call on the 4th!

Pigtail Mama said...

I must be losing my mind- I thought I posted a comment to this yesterday! Geesh! Too much partying for me...

Poor Tyler! I can't believe he had to go to the ER again. Hopefully this will be the last trip, at least for 2008, right? I'm glad that you got in and out relatively quickly and were able to see some fireworks!

Lisa said...

What a trooper! No more facial injuries allowed for Tyler- at least for this summer! This is coming from me, Super Mom, that lost little Peyton off of Kylie's bed this morning :(. No broken skin but she's got quite a shiner on her little head :(!