Sunday, July 27, 2008

As the years go by.....

I think we have all been there. You grow up, you move out of your parents house. You leave things behind when you move out, you bring things back when you move back, and the process goes on. Until you really grow up.

I am at that stage (maybe I have been there?) right now.

My parents have been saying for awhile now that they want my room cleaned out, they think my stuff belongs in my house (why?).... Frank's parents have the same thought process. For months now every time we see them, they have more boxes for us. Needless to say, we keep adding them to the boxes that never were unpacked when we moved (October, 1996, but who is counting?). Some day we will get to them. For now, we go through them and reminisce about our kid days. Frank's boxes have been quite fun-- Star Wars toys, Planet of the Apes characters, Tonka Trucks, old hockey things. I will find a way to display most of this stuff, so come for a visit and you can stay in the retro toy guest room!

I went through some of my old boxes tonight. When I was home last summer, I read and then threw out most of the notes I had kept from middle and high school-- by today's standards, they are pretty close to making it to the antique stage. Really, what were we talking about? Was it really necessary to send a note to just to say how bored we were? And for Pete's sake, I can't even fold a note like that again if I tried!?!

A few of the highlights I found tonight (some of you fellow bloggers will appreciate this "junk"-- I still can't part with some of it!):
-Kilroy's Sports Bar menu from my 22nd birthday
-Tire valve cap from a certain someones car (who knew the air didn't come out by just taking it off!)
-Alanis Morrisette concert ticket-- she really was great!
-All the letters that were sent to me while I was at Camp Minong, summer of 1996
-Washington County Fair Queen program
-Titanic movie stub (ahhhhhh, Leo!)

How is that for random things that just need to be saved? What do you have that you can't part with? Among all of this, I have cards, letters, notes, and other random stuff from college and beyond. I haven't even gotten to the Barbies yet! What am I supposed to do with it all? Right now I consolidated it all into a smaller box-- not sure that it what the parents had in mind when they meant clean it out. Think they will notice that I only moved things around?

3 comments:

Professor P said...

GOOD MORNING, JENNIFER--TIME TO GET UP AND GET THIS JUNK PACKED! (WE NOTICE EVERYTHING!)

Heather said...

Haha!! Professor P's comment cracked me up!!
I'm definitey with you on the Kilroy's menu. Unless my husband has thrown mine away, already, I'm going to have a very hard time parting with that! And the letters and cards are hard to part with, too. But you're asking the wrong person - I'm a huge nostalgic pack-rat.
Good luck with it all! I'm sure our children will do the same thing to us, too.

Lancastermom said...

Ahhh I was with you at Titanic! I also will have a hard time parting with the Kilroy's menu (there are some things you just can't get rid of). I guess I had to do this 18months ago when my parents moved, I had no choice. Ah nostalga, and as for the note folding I am totally with you on that... how the heck did we do that, and why did we write that we were bored... hahaha guess it didn't matter that we were in different parts of the country we all acted the same in middle school!