Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oh, what a weekend!

As a little girl, we had the opportunity to go camping a lot. California's beautiful weather, great beaches and mountains afforded itself to that kind of vacation. I always loved being outdoors enjoying the special time we had. For years now, we have tried to go to Eagle Lake, in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania. This is what Tyler calls camping. As a little girl, I used a tent, sleeping bags, and camping equipment. Tyler thinks a tent is only for the playroom and camping consists of a trailer with flat screen TV's, air mattresses, and a fridge! Anyways, we usually go for Columbus Day weekend, but this year we went for Memorial Day weekend instead and not one of us is sorry we did. We had a great time!

We left Friday night and getting out the door was a feat in itself! We couldn't decide if we should wait and leave later, or risk being stuck in traffic just like all the other long holiday weekends, but this weekend we decided to tough it out and leave right away. Lucky we did! We made great time, saw a lot of HIGHER gas prices ($4.29 in Danbury, Connecticut) and didn't see many cars on the road at all! The weather was beautiful all weekend long and as soon as the kids were awake and fed, they left the house! We played baseball, walked along the creek, went to the park, took golf cart rides looking for deer and turkeys, hung out around the fire, and even got to enjoy the Eagle Lake Beach Party!

Tyler didn't waste any time getting into the water. And it was COLD! None of us thought to bring suits for the kids, and Tyler's mom (who shall remain nameless) dressed him in a polo for the beach party?!? However, it was really nice out, so I took his shirt off. Shortly after this picture was taken, I reminded him that we didn't have any towels with us, either and that going further in was probably going to be a bit cold. He eventually came out and as soon as he did, he stopped in front of the life guard stand and announced (with his shorts and underwear halfway down) that he was going to take off his pants and go swimming!


Here is Tyler at the beach party. They had food, music, and a bounce house for the kids (I wanted to take a turn, but I guess they noticed that I was a bit bigger than the rest of the line-- maybe next time?).
Enjoying the campfire. Tyler TRIED his first marshmallow. I say tried-- he took a bite and then tried to put the other half back in the bag!
Skylar and Tyler "camping" in the loft at the trailer. Poor Sky was quite the trooper while everyone was running around this weekend, she had to protect her arm and she is doing a great job at it!

"Why can't I continue down this steep, rocky terrain, mommy? Why can't I?" Behind the trailer there is a creek and this Momma Bear didn't want anymore stitches on this child!
Posing at the beach-- behind him is the lake and a pier.
Posing for the camera during our wildlife hunt. We saw lots of deer, some turkeys, and as Tyler reminds me, we even saw a cat.
Messing around with the camera-- I really had no idea it was able to take a sepia shot! Maybe that is what the booklet said I never read!
Tyler and Conor enjoying the slide at the park.



3 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

How fun! I haven't gone camping in FOREVER, and I think I agree with Tyler that it should be done in something other than a tent! :)

I love all of the pictures- they are great! That is really cool that your camera can do sepia-toned pics. So neat!

Glad you all had fun!

Heather said...

That looks SOO fun!! I wondered where the heck you were, you hadn't blogged in a while. You're excused. ; )
Tyler is SO funny! SUCH a boy...wanting to take his pants off to swim, climbing...
Can't wait to see you guys in July!! Jack is SO excited to see his friend, "Ty-wer"!!

IUgirl78 said...

Great pictures!!! Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! I think I might even attempt camping sometime if I have as nice of a setup as you guys did. Geez! That sounds nicer than some hotels I've stayed in! :)