Thursday, December 25, 2008

At home with the Genovese's, 2008

I must first give kudos to a fellow blogger, Kelly, who gave me the idea behind this post. She had a great post about documenting the decorating at home during the holiday. I am proud of some of my Christmas decorations that we have. Last year I finally found the time to follow through on some of my ideas for the house. Here are some of them:

Each window of the house has a wreath, red velvet ribbon, and a candle. The bushes all have lights, and the moose in the yard lights up and moves! It looks really nice at night and we stand out on our street-- we are the only decorated house! On the front porch is an antique sled and a small Christmas tree. The front door sports a pair of antique hockey skates.

In our old house our tree swallowed up the living room. In this living room, it is right at home. The angel on the tree top is the same one that adorned my family's tree at Christmas when I was a child. There are numerous ornaments on the tree-- many gifts we have received, but also ones that document places we have traveled to. I love unpacking them and reminiscing about our time there. The most special ones are those that Tyler has made for us, though! Tyler loves to play "I Spy" with the ornaments on the tree. (This shot was taken right after Santa stopped by our house this year.
This is our "Charlie Brown tree". When Frank and I lived in our apartment, this was tree we used! It took all of 10 minutes to hang the lights on and decorate! But now it is one of many and It sits in our family room. The ornaments on it are all reindeers that I made from Popsicle sticks and panted brown:

Our mantle in the family room. I bought the stockings this year. Why should this fire place not have anything hanging from it? The lights on it are red and along with the "Charlie Brown tree" lights, which are clear, that makes this the Indiana Christmas room!
These are the trees in our dining room. There are 3 of them, a mommy tree, daddy tree, and baby tree. The daddy tree is covered in denim ties. The mommy tree has all button ornaments. The baby tree is waiting for me to be inspired! I am sure that next year I will come up with something to hang from it! These trees I decorated last year and am very happy with the way they came out.
Our staircase, covered in garland! The ribbon has painted Santas on it and my only regret it that I did not purchase more of it to decorate with. The garland goes the entire way up the stairs, including the banister in the upstairs hallway.
Our living room mantle. This is where Santa does his magic. Everyone here has a stocking, even Grandma, Grandpa, and Puck. When the tree lights and mantle lights are all lit, the room is bright enough to enjoy without any other lights on.

I hope you enjoyed the brief tour through our house this year! I hope that next year I will remember to do this in the beginning and commemorate all of our decorating! My goal is to expand into the bedrooms more. No sense at stopping on the main floor! Happy holidays!

3 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Gorgeous! Wow, you put me to shame, girl. And did you make your Christmas cards, too? Sickening. Just kidding! I'm just amazed (although the day after I started decorating I DID hurt my back, so I guess that's my excuse!).

Everything looks wonderful. I especially love the wreaths on the windows. I would love to do that here. I guess I should go and look for wreaths while they are on sale. Your house is very festive, and I think I've stolen a couple of ideas for next year! :)

Lisa said...

Thanks for the tour- everything looks GREAT!! You put us to shame as we didn't even get anything outside this year except a big red bow on the front door! I'll try to post a tour of the inside of the house and hopefully be a bit more on top of things next year- what a cool idea!

IUgirl78 said...

Wow--I'm feeling kind of lame over here in my house. :) I LOVE what you did with your windows outside. I want to do that next year. I am also impressed with your mantles and the garland on the staircase. Very impressive!