Sunday, August 3, 2008

Seven Things for Seven Years....

Tomorrow is out 7 year anniversary and I thought I would share 7 things about our early beginning together.

1. Frank and I met in Springfield, Massachusetts in August of 1998. We met the same day my parents officially dropped me off for graduate school at Springfield College. Frank was beginning his second year at American International College for his Master's degree. Contrary to popular belief, we did not like each other and I would dare to say we didn't even get along that night!

2. He proposed to me on May 11, 2000. It was in our first apartment together. I was getting ready to graduate on May 14, 2000. When he had graduated the year before, I took him out to dinner to celebrate. He told me that he would also take me out to eat on the 11th. After spending the morning moving in, he told me he was going to get a haircut. I stayed behind and unpacked a bit. After 2 hours, he finally showed up. While I was showering, I remember hearing him running through the apartment. After I was dressed, he asked me to dance (there was no music on!)-- he was acting really weird. He finally just told me to sit down and he got down on one knee and I finally caught on to what was going on! Afterwards, he explained what he was doing for those 2 hours-- he was going to Cafe Manhattan, the restaurant we were to eat at that night, and picking out the table-- table 11. He had also bought some champagne. The number 11 is significant because it is his hockey number!

3. Our wedding weekend officially started on Thursday night, at our rehearsal dinner at the Crazy Horse in Bloomington. On Friday, my parents hosted an Open House at their place, and there was a golf outing. On the Sunday morning following our wedding, we all had brunch at the IUMU on campus. It was a lot of fun to hang out with family and friends for the whole weekend and not just on Saturday.

4. We were married in Bloomington, Indiana at St.Paul's Catholic Church on the IU campus. Father Dan married us and he did a wonderful job! Our reception was held at the Indiana University Memorial Union, also on campus. It was a great party that no one wanted to end! Towards the end of the evening, we asked the DJ and the bar to stay open for another hour. The last song at our wedding was "New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra-- played also at the end of every home Yankee game! We had people at our wedding from all over-- New York, Massachusetts, California, Hong Kong, and The Netherlands.

5. We left for our honeymoon on Monday. We spent 10 days at the Sandals Resort in Nassau Bahamas. On our first night there, we were so tired that we ate dinner and watched Monday night football (pre-season) and went to bed. The other 9 days were so awesome! We went snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, and participated in games at the resort. We were contestants on the Sandals version of the Newlywed Game-- we came in last place but definitely had the crowd on our side with the answers to our questions! The night before we came home, we celebrated my 26th birthday at the French themed restaurant. What a great trip! Two years after this trip, we visited the Sandals Ochos Rios Resort in Jamaica.

6. When we arrived home from our honeymoon, we found our apartment in disarray. Our friends who looked after the place "decorated" it for us-- they turned all the furniture upside down and backwards. It really was a funny sight to come home to! Because they had also been in Indiana for the wedding, they stocked up on IU and Bobby Knight stuff which they left strewn all over the house, including baby outfits!

7. We purchased our first house together in October of 2002. It was the only house that we went into and we had not even discussed buying one or bothered to get a Realtor. We both fell in love with the house and it had everything that we wanted in a home. We looked at it on a Friday and by Friday night had put in an offer. On Saturday, I was in Boston to take my LMHC exam and Frank called me after the test to let me know they accepted out offer over 3 others! Although we no longer live there, it will still be "our" house! We also remember the house on Woodridge as the one that we brought home Tyler to. It will always hold a special place in our hearts!

(Thanks to my fellow bloggers from whom I stole this idea!)

3 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it has been 7 years. Wow. You guys are just the neatest couple. I loved seeing you as a family last weekend- so loving to each other and to Tyler! Thanks for sharing a bit of your history with us, and enjoy your 7th anniversary!

Heather said...

That is so sweet! I loved reading all of those - kinda' took me back, too. I remember hearing about "that guy who kept showing up at P's apt". Who knew he'd become "one of us" and we'd love that Long Island guy so much! I'm glad you kept hanging around, Frank! Jennifer's a tough nut to crack and I'm glad you kept trying!You guys are so great together.

Professor P said...

Seven things from the father of the bride:
1. Your mother and I had so much fun that we consider the money spent on the wedding a good investment. Who would know that this blessed union would bring us Tyler--who is priceless!

2. If you look at the wedding pictures from the church, then you will discover that Fr. Dan Atkins (the real short guy in the pictures) married you. Fr. Bob, the current pastor at St. Pauls, didn't arrive until 2005.

3. My assumption is that Frank picked May 11 to propose because of its historical significance. Not only was Irving Berlin born on May 11, but so were John and Jim (aka G. Clooney) Perry. What an honor to have Frank propose to my daughter on my birthday! Very romantic! (I sure hope Frank didn't pick this date for his hockey number alone.)

4. You claim to have been married for 7 years today, but there is still a small matter of getting Mrs. Perry's permission. I guess the wedding is still legal, but it is hard to convince the Mrs. that you could officially get married on my permission alone.

5. I'm trying to sort out whether Jennifer's happiness today is the result of her 7-year marriage to the man of her dreams (i.e., Frank Genovese) or BRETT FAVRE'S RETURN TO LAMBEAU FIELD. What do you say, Jen? (This probably needs to be the subject of a new blog, perhaps rescinding your March blog about shedding tears upon Brett's retirement.)

6. I don't recall who attended the wedding and reception from Hong Kong, but we did have several Koreans attend (Geunjoo Lee, Roy Shin). Don't worry, as they say in Hong Kong, "You can't tell one gwai lo from the next."

7. On a serious note, Wendy and I are very proud and thankful for the relationship the two of you have developed during the last decade. We wish you much happiness today and for the rest of your lives. We are thrilled to be able to share your lifes' story.

Love,

Mom and Dad Perry