Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jenny, Jenny quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

Quite nicely, thank you for asking!

When we left on vacation in July, I was worried about the plants getting watered. No concern, though. I have not watered them in more than a month because it seems to rain almost every day here! When we got back from vacation, I found that the little plants I was so afraid were going to wither away flourished! I had to venture outside tonight while Frank was barbecuing and take a few shots:

The zucchini and squash plants are growing like weeds (and thank goodness for that because otherwise the weeds would be taking over!).
When you look close enough, this is what you find! Our first veggie grown with little help from his human farmer! Now only if I knew how long I was supposed to let it "grow" for!
These are our pumpkins. I remember planting regular pumpkin seeds and enormous pumpkin seeds. When I planted them in the garden, I could not remember which plants were where. Now I have no problem with that! When we returned from our trip, I looked out the living room window and saw this huge, snaking vine along the top of my bush! (You can see it in the picture, cascading from the top of the bushes!) That's right! A pumpkin plant! These have taken over most of the garden and are making their way into the lawn. I guess they are called enormous pumpkins for a reason.
I couldn't resist this picture. Tyler has been a bit under the weather lately but managed to squeak out a bit of energy to swing with tonight while dinner was cooking. I watched him from up on the deck and every once in awhile he would come over and say hello. At one point, I HAD to ask him "What are you going to surprise mommy with on her birthday tomorrow?" And Tyler said "A cake!" Sorry, Frank, I guess I know who to go to for all the info and I just simply cannot wait! Thanks, Ty!

4 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Wow! Those look great! I am quite impressed. I truly can't get anything to grow. Even a pot of flowers on my porch ended up dying! :(

Love that picture of Tyler! He's such a cutie pie. :)

Lisa said...

Happy Happy Birthday! We hope you have a great day!!!

Wow- are you accepting orders for your enormous pumpkins in time for Halloween this year? How fun. Looks like your garden was a HUGE success! You will be my inspiration to "possibly" attempt one next year!

Heather said...

I wondered where you'd been...either mourning the BF situation or starting your birthday celebration early. Yes, very Happy Birthday to you!!
I'm very impressed w/ your gardening skills. You could SELL what you grow for a little mad money! The excess, that is.

Lancastermom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!