Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! As the holiday season has officially arrived, we have taken the time here to reflect on the great life we have been blessed with and to help those that are in need this holiday season (and the rest of the year). This past Saturday, Tyler and I bagged up some food items to delivery to a food drive that the Longmeadow Rotary Club was hosting on behalf of Open Door Social Services, the agency that helps run the Food Bank in Springfield. Tyler was very excited about helping those people who can not afford to buy their food. In fact, he referred to our donation as "feeding the people in the village". I guess it may take a village to raise a child, but it also takes a village to feed a village!

On Saturday afternoon, we set off to deliver our food to "the man in the parking lot with the big truck". As we pulled up to the delivery sight, I asked Tyler if he wanted to help carry a bag. Of course he said yes. We got out of the car and I handed him a bag. It was slightly heavy, but he mustered all of his pride and handled it very well. As we got closer to the men collecting the goods, they all started clapping for my little guy. He was so proud! He handed the men their bags, shook hands with a few volunteers, and beamed from ear to ear. When we got back to the car and I was buckling him in, he said: "My daddy is going to be so proud of me!". Melt. My. Heart.

On Tuesday morning, I asked him what he is thankful for. I honestly had no idea where this was going to get me and I was a bit scared of the responses! Here is what Tyler said (in this order!):

My cat, Puck
Duffy (Grandma Perry's dog)
Mommy and Daddy
Grandma's and Grandpa's, Conor and Skylar, and Aunt Laurette and Uncle Jim
The sun in Florida
The moon

After hearing these responses, I had a smile on my face all day. We are so thankful that we have such a wonderful young boy as our son and that is all I could ask for.

I hope that each of you find small things today to be thankful for as well and we wish you a fabulous holiday!

0 comments: