Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tomorrow....

Tomorrow is my last day at work. I am scared to death! I am excited! My blood pressure is above 300! Help!

I have worked at MSPCC now for 8 1/2 years, not including a year prior to that as a graduate intern. I have done therapy, clinical intakes, parenting group, parenting assessments, FST assessments, special projects, supervised the Community Support Program. I have helped out at Christmastime with the toys that are donated. I have written thank-you notes for the donors, I have solicited for donors, I have done just about everything there is to possibly do there and it all ends at the close of business Friday.

I am leaving with mixed emotions. Anyone who has heard me speak about what I have been doing since moving out East has been flabbergasted that I have traveled in and out of really cruddy neighborhoods and have survived. I have also done my fair share of complaining and looking for a new position for many years now. In recent months, I was finally able to understand why things happened the way they did and become comfortable with my daily routine at work. It's going to end... soon! I am becoming more and more weepy as the time nears, but I imagine the butterflies will be going crazy with excitement on Monday morning as I drive to Boston for orientation.

I have lived in Massachusetts for 10 years. I worked with MSPCC for most of that time. I graduated from graduate school, got married, had a child, bought 2 houses, and switched positions 4 times while I was there. As I clean out my desk, filing cabinets, and shelves, I find things with "Jennifer Perry" written on them and become sad. I started there when I was 23 years old! I also find notes on old staff and friends that have come and gone a long time ago and think back to when my area office was a hallway with less than 10 offices. We are now 3 floors...

I have to be proud that I have lasted as long as I have with the agency and who I have worked for and with. I can not be upset with any experience that MSPCC has provided me, good or bad. I will shed tears on Friday as I have to part with the only "family" I have in the area other than Tyler and Frank. My staff are my kids away from home and I can only hope that they will remember me as fondly as I remember them! I would like to think that when I run into one of them in 10 years that they will thank me for what I did. I know I thank them for their hard work, dedication, and patience that they exhibit. My demands are not easy.


This is my best effort at this point to sum up all the feelings I have. Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
~Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan

6 comments:

Heather said...

You write so eloquently. Change is so hard, especially when you've been somewhere for 10 years and gone through so many life events at one place. I'm thinking of you. MSPCC has been good to you and for you, but it's time for you to move on. This new position could be just what you've needed and wanted...and easier on your blood pressure, too! Hugs to you!

Professor P said...

I'm proud of what you've accomplished, what you've given to MSPCC and its staff, and your ability to make a change. Always remember, you are loved--and love conquers all.

Love,

Dad

IUgirl78 said...

I can't imagine how stressful your job has been at times...especially traveling in and out of rough neighborhoods or dealing with tough issues. I know it must be hard to leave after being there for so long, but hopefully you will make a new "family" at your new job! I'm excited to hear more about it! Good luck!!!

Lancastermom said...

Good luck next week! I can imagine it is going to be hard, but you will be great at it I'm sure!

Heather said...

Your dad's comment gave me tingles and put a lump in my throat. That's so sweet! He's right! You are SOOO loved!

Pigtail Mama said...

It is definitely hard to leave something behind, whether you've enjoyed it or not. It becomes a part of you, and kind of defines who you are- especially when you've done it for as long as you have. I am sure that you made a difference to many, many lives- something that you can take with you. Just remember that there are always better things awaiting you! Good luck with your new job!!! :)