Monday, May 11, 2009

Sponge

We spent the weekend in New York (more on that later). Because we got home late last night, we only unpacked what we needed to and took care of the rest of the car tonight. While Frank was running things into the house and I was cleaning out the car, Tyler was kicking the soccer ball in the front yard. I came across some of the bags from this weekend and was showing Tyler his new Yankee shirts. He stopped for a few minutes to look at his new goodies and we had a brief conversation:

Mommy: "Do you like your new shirts?"

Tyler: "Yeah, I like the Derek Jeter shirt."

Mommy: "You will look good in your new Islanders shirt, too."

Tyler: "Daddy said he looked for DiPietro but they didn't have any."

Mommy: "That stinks. You got a cool shirt, anyways."

Tyler: "I wanted Blake Como or Kyle Okposo, but they didn't have any. I was pissed."

Mommy: "What did you say?"

Tyler: "I was pissed. You say it."

At this point in the conversation, I had a choice: laugh really hard or laugh even harder! Frank was not around while this was going on, but Tyler gladly repeated what he said when Frank came back to the garage. Frank had the same reaction I did, to laugh! You had to hand it to the kid, he had a great point!

To all the parents who are now thinking that we are simply awful parents, after we got a good laugh in, Frank and I did turn this into a teaching opportunity and I am happy to announce that I am sitting in time-out right now!

By the way, I still can't remember when I used that phrase...

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm impressed that the first swear word out of your child came when he was 4-1/2, and it's a weak one at that! Mom-of-the-year here taught my child to say "Slow down, a##hole!" when he was 2!

Lancastermom said...

Well I had to laugh too! That is hilarious, I can't imagine you ever saying that word. I would pay to see you sitting in time out. Oh Wow well at least your son wasnt singing a song about sex in the car. I now pay attention to what is on the radio, Rileigh was singing The Business for a couple of weeks.

Ty's Mommy said...

Whoa, girls, he is my son..... This was the g-rated version of what has been heard coming from his mouth. A few weeks ago he did say a word that rhymed with puck.... Needless to say, he had to take a time-out from the rink and the locker room these past few weeks!

Heather said...

Oh my! I want to laugh but I shouldn't. Oh h*ll, I will! HAHA! It's innocent enough, they don't know what they're saying. So, he's heard these words on the ice rink? Did he even use it in the correct context? I guess these things are bound to happen. Why do they always pick up on the words they're NOT supposed to repeat? I just REALLY hope those choice words don't get repeated at daycare or else I might be sitting in the principal's office.