Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Preschool Jitters

I promised myself I would hold it in. After all, you only get one chance to make a good first impression. I don't want to me "that" parent who can't hold in the tears during preschool open house! After all, if that is what happens during open house, what is the first day like? Full out, fall on the ground, tantrum? Anyways, tonight we visited Green Valley Preschool, where Tyler will be spending 3 days of each week, come Fall.

I did very well until the topic of the mini presentation turned to independence. Being an only child, Tyler has a lot of independence. But then Ms. Fitzpatrick mentioned that one of their goals is to prepare the children to get on the bus for kindergarten in 2010. Ye gads.

I think the previous 4 1/2 years flashed before my eyes! I could not believe that I was standing there listening to someone talk about how my child will learn early reading skills, improve his writing, and work on socialization! None of that is new, but, well, I wasn't ready to hear it.

Don't get me wrong. I am very excited to begin this new chapter in life. I am not ready to end the previous one, though... Luckily they hold this open house in May to make sure there is enough time to prepare the, ahem, children for August.

Now only if I could figure out how to slow down the clocks...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, hugs to you!! I would have been the same way. Enjoy the summer, you have three months to get yourself, er, I mean, Tyler ready for pre-school.
Promise me you'll remind me of this, too, when I'm in your shoes, sending Jack to preschool?

Angie said...

I am going through the same thing. Chelsie will go to kindergarten in August and I am not ready. It doesn't help that she cried at her "orientation" meeting and has told me every day since she doesn't want to leave preschool and daycare.

I figure I will have to hold it together and not cry when I take her that first morning. Or at least wait until I am in the car. She can't do the bus because of my work schedule and I have had my own freak out over after school stuff.

This stuff of our kids growing up isn't fun.

Lisa said...

It is amazing how quickly the first chapter goes and then onto being a "big kid". It's hard for mom and dad to keep up as it went so fast when looking back! Tyler will do fine and you'll be just fine too- he'll make you so proud with all he will accomplish in preschool and look out kindergarten- he'll be an old pro at school by then ;). Yes, Kylie could be hopping on a bus ALONE in only 3 months - terrorizing to me! And she will be picking out her own lunch from a menu each day as well- ay ay ay!