Sunday, January 4, 2009

What a trooper! And other random thoughts.

This weekend it was finally quiet around the Genovese household. I do not say that in a bad way, I say that in a kind of sad way. After weeks of different house guests, the last ones left yesterday morning. We have been blessed with such wonderful people who want to come and visit and often time brave the Western Massachusetts ever-changing winter conditions to spend the holidays with us. Grandma and Grandpa Perry left on Monday, and Aunt Laurette, Uncle Jim, cousins Conor and Skylar, and Cortney and Hailey all came from New York to visit for New Years.

Knowing that the past few weeks would be very busy, we planned a family outing for last night. The Springfield Falcons we in town and we had been given tickets to the game and it would also be Holy Family Night, the organization that puts together Tyler's Learn to Skate Program. Frank also had a game down in Connecticut and Tyler and I were going to meet him there and then go to the Falcon's game. Sounds easy, right? Wrong.

On out way out of town, I stopped and got Tyler and Happy Meal. You can never go wrong with nuggets and fries. But yesterday you could. He took a few bites of a nugget and said "I don't feel well". Knowing that it had been really busy at our place, I gave him the option of just returning home to rest, or continuing out ride to the game. He was adamant about going to the game, so I carried on. As soon as we got off the exit in West Hartford, Connecticut, all I hear is retching coming from the backseat. Oh shoot!

I am stuck in traffic, my son is covered with vomit, and I have nothing to clean him up with. So I pull off into a Macy's parking lot, dig out about 4 wipes, and a handful of napkins. What good is that going to do? I am 45 minutes from home and really stuck! I did find some old clothes in the car and proceeded to strip my son in the trunk of the car and get him changed out of his puke covered jacket and pants, and into something clean. What really got to me was that there was a constant stream of people who parked around me, stared, and walked off. What is with people nowadays?

I also remembered that there was a Babies 'R Us right across the street. So I quickly used my handful of cleaning supplies, and went shopping. We got pants, a fleece, and a new car seat (what was I supposed to do?). I also asked Tyler about 300 times "How's your belly?" "How do you feel?". After awhile he told me I was "weird" that I kept asking him! I also gave him the option of going right home, but he still said he wanted to go to Frank's game. So we went.

After Frank's game (they won, 3-1), Tyler still maintained that he wanted to go to the Falcon's game. Here is my little guy, upset stomach, not in his own home, or in comfy clothes, and he still wants to go to this darn game! So we decided that we would go for a bit, but first we needed to get a new winter jacket, so we also found a Children's Place. Tyler is now the proud owner of his winter jacket for next year!

He made it halfway into the second period before he started shutting his eyes. He was not his normal self, very blah, but he was a trooper and would do anything for the love of the game of hockey. I on the other hand, learned a lot. Strangers can not always be relied upon, and if you really need something, ask. My 4-year-old is tougher than most of those people who passed me in the parking lot. After vomiting in the car, he still wanted to go root on his dad's team!

The good news is, is that it was a one and done deal (thank goodness! I spent this morning scrubbing the car seat and my seat cushions!). In the middle of the night he did wake up and Frank went to sleep with him. Frank however was awakened shortly after by Tyler who was singing in his sleep: "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way..." What a trooper!

2 comments:

Lancastermom said...

OHHHHH how cute.... Jingle Bells (that was Grant's fav Christmas song). On the other hand you sound like you needed a nice long bubble bath that night. Egads you would think that someone walking by might offer SOME assistance but I guess not. Well I hope this week goes better for you than the weekend.

Pigtail Mama said...

Oh, that's rough! I'm sorry he got sick- especially in your car. :( Hopefully everything is cleaner now, and Tyler is feeling better!