Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History


Dear Tyler,

History was made today. The US inaugurated it’s first African American president and you were able to witness it. Even though you may not understand the enormity of what this means, I know that this is something that you will remember years from now as a “I remember where I was when…” moment. Some day in history class at school you will learn a lot about an era that led up to this point.

Although you are only 4 years wise, you were as excited as we were. When I saw you tonight, you proudly announced that “Barack Obama was on PBS kids today!” I am so proud that you were able to share in the excitement that was felt everywhere today—no matter what beliefs people may have. At one point tonight you even went over and hugged the television when Obama came on.

As your parents, we hope that not only Obama, but the other presidents who will succeed him, will continue to provide a country that is strong for you and for your children to come. There are opportunities out there, so please take advantage of all that you can.

I want to share with you our moments of “I remember where I was when…”
*September 11, 2001
*The space shuttle Challenger exploded
*New York Islanders won the Stanley Cup 1980
*Operation Iraqi Freedom began
*Green Bay won the Super Bowl
*United States beat Russia in the Olympics to win gold in hockey
*Dessert Storm began
*Pope John Paul II died
May all of your dreams come true with lots of hard work and dedication. Always know that your mom and dad are right behind you to support you and make all your dreams come true.
Love,
Mommy and Daddy
P.S. Thanks to Kristy for the great idea of the picture!

2 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

That is a very nice letter, and what a great way to mark the special day. I am very proud that an African-American president was elected in my lifetime. I can only hope our children never think twice about it!

IUgirl78 said...

Okay, way to show a girl up! Not only did you do a really cool letter, but you got a MUCH better picture than I did! :) And, hey--I borrowed the idea, too. Glad you liked it!

That is so cute that he recognized Barack Obama and hugged the TV. :)