Monday, August 24, 2009

Preschool, here we come!

My baby is growing up.

Today he donned his Star Wars backpack, his Star Wars lunch box, and his favorite Yankee shirt, and I took him to Green Valley preschool.

This really should not have been such a big deal, after all it is just preschool! If I am having this hard of a time dropping him off at preschool, what is it going to be like when I have to let go for him to get on a bus? I guess I can't freak out too much about that right now!

The night before, I packed his lunch-- peanut butter and Fluff on bread, he asked for. I am sure that will not be the last time I make one of those... should consider stock in Jiff and Fluff... I'll look into that... We also packed some cuddly guys for nap time-- Dinosaur blanket and Kitty, the go-to stuffed animal since he was and infant (we keep another one at daycare!).

This morning was not as easy. I put on a brave face, as did Frank. Tyler posed for pictures, and then we were off to drop off. I tried to quell my anxiety by saying that he was going to need me, but the sad part is, he didn't. We went right in, found his cubby and his hook, put everything away and said our goodbyes. Mrs. Fitzpatrick came over and welcomed him, and whisked him off.

Just like that, my baby was gone.

I think I was looking for tears, for the tight grasp on my arm, for that longing look of "just one more hug and kiss". But there weren't any.

Okay, I lie, there were tears. In my car on the way to work. At least I held it together long enough to be brave in front of him!

Frank and I both did the pick up tonight as well. We walked through the door and you would have thought he was an old pro and had been there for years! He went and got all his art work and belongings that he had worked on that day, and told us all about what happened! As a special treat we told him we would go eat at Mountain View, his favorite place, and he declined. He opted instead to eat the remainder of his lunch from his lunch box!

I am so proud to be his mom. I am proud that I can walk away and know that he has the tools to survive a day at school with new friends. I am proud that I survived today!

0 comments: