Thursday, August 5, 2010


After five long days in the hospital Thursday was the day that we most looked forward to. It meant that Colby was coming home!

We told everyone to stay at home in the morning, that we would see them when we arrived. It was a good thing, too. There were doctors, nurses, midwives, and other hospital staff coming to see us, check in, and do other discharge business. Colby was checked by the pediatrician and given a clean bill of health. I was given all the things I was going to need to be comfortable at home for the next few days. Frank was not left out, he was able to ask all the questions that were weighing on our minds now that we would be able to leave the building. After all, it has been almost six long years since we had a little guy at home!

In the 36 hours since his birth, Colby has already changed. Most noticeable is his head and face. His head no longer sports the "point" and he appears to be growing into his face, especially his cheeks. His right eye and face have some bruising/burst blood vessels. We were told that this was due to the rapid speed in which he was born and that it will clear up and go away. He has been more alert and showing us his eyes, especially this morning. Frank was holding him and when we spoke to him and called him by name, he would turn his head and seek us out.

I remember clearly when I was pregnant with Tyler and Frank and I went in for my first prenatal appointment. When I had told him that I had a midwife I saw, he kept asking why I didn't have a doctor. When we got to the appointment, he asked Tina what qualifications she had that made her better than a doctor. She said to him "Many years delivering babies." That was answer enough for Frank and he decided to give her a shot (which was good since I wasn't changing!) . After many months of prenatal appointments and then Tyler's delivery, he was sold. Despite the fact that she did not actually deliver Colby, she will still be the midwife who saw me through both pregnancies. On Tuesday, she attempted to come in on her day off for the delivery, but who knew I would go from 5 to 10 centimeters dilated and deliver within minutes! Tina also stopped in on Thursday morning before we left to say goodbye. I wanted to get a picture of her with both boys, but we managed at least one:
In the room there was a dry erase board where the nurses on duty wrote their names and hours. Tyler discovered the board during his first visit. He drew a monster and then signed his name. After Colby was born, he added his name as well:
Finally it was time to get Colby dressed and strap him into his car seat. Because we did not know if Tyler was going to be a boy or a girl, I did not have any "boy" outfits. This outfit was one of my favorites that I bought earlier in the summer.
Colby was great for the short ride home. And who could blame him? I would be well behaved if I knew this is what I had to greet me when I arrived!
Tyler could not wait to hold him. As soon as we walked in the door, Tyler was giving gentle kisses and very excited to have this big day finally here. I was also able to get a picture of all my men during the day:
How lucky our family is!