Monday, June 15, 2009

Soccer Mom!

After a 13-year hiatus from the soccer field, I made the leap and jump back onto the field. A friend I had worked with at MSPCC would talk about the team she played on every season and ask me to play. I always thought about it but never did it. Until this year. The season started in April and will end this Sunday. I can admit that I will miss it. Prior to my first game another friend told me that it is great to get out and play and if anything it "reminds you that you are still alive each week". She is right.

I grew up playing soccer. I started as a young girl in California and played year round in high school. In college I played intramural soccer. Since graduating from I.U. the closest I got to a game of soccer was kicking a rock in a parking lot! The first game was a shock. Needless to say I am out of shape, I am not a young girl anymore and these women are good. This is no beer league and I thoroughly have enjoyed it. I wish the season was longer and games were more than once a week!
Holding up the defensive zone....


Fighting for the ball...
Taking an on the field break. I have learned to get them in when I can!
At home with my biggest fan! Tyler has had a great time at the games playing baseball and tending goal on the nearby sports fields. It's not a successful week if Tyler does not fall asleep on the ride home! Frank has also enjoyed the games and it has been great to have my own cheering section at the games! Of course it makes is better when you are cheering for an undefeated team. Thanks, guys!

3 comments:

Professor P said...

Jen,

It's great to see you on the field again. Your soccer days are fond memories. We had a chance to spend a lot of time together. The soccer experience was great for your self-esteem and good health and helped to get me more involved in your life. I'm hoping to see one of your adult games someday.

Love,

Dad

Heather said...

Awww...what a sweet dad!
I'm V impressed that you did that!
How much of a putz am I to not have known that you played intramural in college?

Pigtail Mama said...

Uh, I didn't even know you played! Cool! :)