Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

As I sit here on my sixth Mother's Day, I had to reflect about why I love being a mother. Some days it is hard to remember, but even at this moment, as I listen to the kids bicker, I love every minute (okay, some more than others!).

In the middle of the chaos I call my week, I began thinking of what life it going to be like with a newborn and a kindergartner. I can only imagine that things will be even more crazy, but at the same time, there will be even more love in out family, with one more person to give it and to receive it.

So what do I love about being a mom? I love when I come home at night and Tyler runs and jumps into my arms. I love wet, sloppy kisses at night. I love being able to kiss boo boos and make them all better. I love having the best ideas in the world when he is "so bored". I love cuddles on the couch and in bed in the morning. I love being with friends and watching all the kids run around and play together. I love watching him be creative while doing arts and crafts and almost being able to see the wheels in his head turn.

You know what else I love? Trekking up all the stairs multiple times at night because someone is thirsty/hot/needs new music/has a stomach ache. I love being called stupid/baby/dummy. I love the listening to the whining when it is time to get dressed/clean up/leave the house. I love convincing a young child that dinner will not kill him if he tries just a small bite. I love having Tyler's friends over and later discovering that the playroom (which was neat and organized) is not a wreck with no toy left in any bin.

You know what I miss? Getting up every three hours to change. feed, and rock. I miss being peed and spit up on. I miss trying to get ready in the morning while I hold a squirmy little one on my lap. I miss staying up all hours to hang out with friends, knowing that I can make it up in the morning by sleeping late.

The truth though? I may miss all those things but not as much as I love the others. This is my life now and that was my life then. Back then, I was Jennifer, daughter, wife, etc, but now I am Jennifer, daughter, wife, and mommy. Appreciate every day, we all know they fly by and things change faster than we can keep up with.

Enjoy your Mother's Day, every minute.

1 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Aw, this is such a sweet post! I do agree--I'm trying to cherish all of those moments w/ Reid since I know he's my last. I think they grow up so quickly. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!