Thursday, February 12, 2009

He's Crafty!

After all the fun I had making our Christmas cards this year, I figured that I could come up with a way for Tyler to make his Valentine's for school this year. After all, it won't be much longer until he wants the store bought ones! So after scouting out the craft stores last weekend, I ended up with two things: paint and card stock. After that, I had to figure out what we were going to decorate them. That was when I remembered potato stamping, something I used to do all the time when I worked with the kids in college. After I ran the idea by Tyler, we went to town!
I cut the potatoes into heart stamps,

and let Ty go to town!
He really did an awesome job!
And like always, did it with a smile!
After he finished with enough for school, I told him to "go ahead and get messy". My poor guy said to me "what if I get it on my clothes?"....
That was quickly forgotten when he dipped his fingers into the paint!
After they all dried, I cut them into heart shapes and had Tyler sign each one. He did an great job signing his name over and over again!
And thanks to my fellow blogger for introducing me to a new website, The Crafty Crow, I found a way to make them more festive!
The proud artist with a finished creation!

4 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

ADORABLE! Both the boy and the Valentine. :) It looks like he was having a blast- I love the potato stamping idea! I'm also happy that you like the Crafty Crow. And I wonder why I don't get to bed before 1 AM most nights....too many blogs!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

IUgirl78 said...

How cool is that?! I wish I had seen this a week ago so I could've copied your idea. :) Reese really wanted Hello Kitty, but I felt bad giving those to the boys, so we bought Scooby-Doo as well. Since we only needed ten of each, it was a big waste of money. I would've much preferred doing cute homemade ones. Maybe next year! :)

Lisa said...

Great work! Good for you having a little guy with such patience and artistic ability! BTW, I'll be expecting a handmade b-day card next month :)!

Heather said...

What a great idea! And those Valentine's are SO MUCH more meaningful because they're handmade by Tyler! You're a good mom, letting him make a little mess!